John Lyon’s Charity is a grant-giving charity that annually spends in the region of £10million each year. We have been awarding grants to organisations that support children and young people since 1991 and since that time have spent over £100million on a variety of projects including youth clubs, supplementary schools, sports initiatives and Arts programmes.
We have a very specific Beneficial Area that comprises the London Boroughs of Barnet, Brent, Camden, Ealing, Hammersmith & Fulham, Harrow, Kensington & Chelsea and the Cities of London and Westminster.
The Charity has a permanent endowment, which is derived from conveyances by John Lyon in 1578 and 1581. At this time, he bought a plot of land in St John’s Wood for the sum of £660. It is believed that there have been no material additions to the endowment since the Charity’s foundation. It is this plot of land, and the income that it has generated for the last 450 years, that has enabled John Lyon’s Charity to become one of London’s foremost grant-making institutions.